What To Expect After Dermal Fillers
One of the first things our clients ask us about dermal fillers is how long they can expect their results to last, and how long it takes results to develop. Incredibly, dermal fillers can last up to 18 months, but this does depend on where you’ve had the filler placed, your age, and your general metabolism. Even better, you may experience results immediately – though because some mild swelling is to be expected, it’s more likely these will develop over the next few days.
Dermal Filler Aftercare
There are some recommendations you should follow to ensure you’re comfortable following treatment, and to help prevent side-effects. Things to avoid include:
- Heat treatments, such as the spa or sauna, which can increase the likelihood of swelling
- Sleeping on your back, to avoid putting pressure on the treated areas, which could cause your dermal filler to migrate
- Touching the face during the early days, while your body heals
- Strenuous exercise, which again can lead to swelling
- Drinking alcohol in the first 24 hours, which could lead to bruising
- Direct sunlight, which can degrade the filler
- Aesthetic treatments, such as chemical peels or laser treatment, which could irritate the skin or lead to infection
Our experts will talk you through these in greater detail during your time at our Clerkenwell dental practice.
Possible Side-effects of Dermal Filler
As with any facial aesthetics treatment, mild side-effects are common. With dermal fillers, these include swelling, redness and possibly bruising. Following our recommended aftercare instructions can either help reduce the severity of side-effects, or minimise the risk of them developing altogether.
Risks are extremely rare, especially in the care of experienced practitioners, such as those at our Clerkenwell dental practice. These include problems such as lumps under the skin, infection, scarring or the filler moving location. Unlike treatments such as anti-wrinkle injections, dermal fillers can be dissolved if any of these problems occur.
As we’ve stated, your results could last as long as 18 months. However, we can help put together a treatment plan and recommend when you may need a top-up to maintain the effects of the dermal filler.
To secure a consultation with us, get in touch today and we’ll arrange a time to suit you!